Lord Muruga, son of Shiva and Parvathi is worshipped in Tiruchendur temple, Tamil Nadu. Lord Muruga has six special temples dedicated to him and it is called as Aarupadai Veedu.
Tiruchendur Murugan temple is located 56 km from Tirunelveli. Among six temples, the other 5 are located on hilltops. This temple is located on the seashore.
It is the victorious place. Lord Muruga killed the demon Surapadman at this spot. The six holy abodes of Lord Muruga includes Palani, Thiruthanu, Pazhamudhircholai, Swamimalai and Thiruparamkundram. You can hire a car from Chennai Car Rental to reach the temple.
Masi thiruvizha is celebrated every year. This festival is conducted for twelve days. On the 10th day of the festival, the temple priests and the devotees pull the temple car on the car streets of the temple. During this festival three cars are pulled. It will start from 7.30 a.m., and it will continue until 11.30 p.m. A large number of devotees participate in dragging.
Tiruchendur Murugan Temple timings
Morning hours – 5 am – 12 pm
Evening hours – 5 pm – 9 pm
Monthly Special Poojas
- The special Abishegam is conducted during the Visakam day for Lord Muruga.
- During the karthigai day every month, 108 Thiru vilakku pooja will be conducted.
- On the first day of every Tamil month, special pooja and ganapathy homam will be conducted.
- On the Friday of each Tamil month, special pooja will be performed.
- On the first day of Chithirai month, special pooja and Annabhishegam are performed.
- Navaratri festival is conducted for nine days in Purattasi month.
- On the first day of Iyppasi month, special pooja and Annabhishegam will be takes place.
- The Thirukalyanam of Arulmigu Valli is celebrated on the Panguni Uthiram day.
To reach Tiruchendur, hire a car from Chennai to Tiruchendur Car rental. This is the best choice to travel comfortably with your family. After the darshan, you can spend some time in the seashore with your family. Plan your trip during the festival time and worship Lord Muruga with your family.